The Game of Life (game show)

The Game of Life was an American television series on The Hub (now Discovery Family). The program, hosted by Frank Nicotero, is based on the Milton Bradley board game The Game of Life. It premiered on September 3, 2011 with a special „preview“ episode, and began its official run two weeks later on September 17, 2011, airing on Saturday nights. The series ended on April 22, 2012 and last aired on December 31, 2013.

Two families of three compete for the chance to win the grand prize.

Each team takes a turn „driving“ the Game of Life car through a Life adventure of their choice. (The car actually faces a green screen animation, and can be shaken in various ways to simulate turns, bumps and jumps in the „road“.) After choosing one of two adventures, the team faces a series of 50/50 questions at the forks in the road. The driver turns the wheel toward the fork they feel is the correct answer. Correct answers earn „Life points“, while wrong answers stop the car for 5 seconds.

Correct answers earn 100 Life points on the first question, then 200 for the second, and so on. The adventure continues until the car runs „out of gas“.

Play remains the same as Round 1, usually with the second team going first. Life points are doubled in this round (200, 400, 600, etc.). In addition, the 3rd question (sometimes the 2nd one) of the adventure earns extra gas for the car in addition to its life point value, allowing the chance to answer more questions.

The team with the highest score after Round 2 gets to spin a giant version of the Game of Life Spinner for a special bonus prize. If they can successfully predict whether the spinner will land on an odd or even number, they win the bonus prize. A consolation prize is awarded for a wrong guess. In the event of a tie, one team takes the even numbers, while the other team takes the odd numbers, and host Nicotero spins the spinner. The team that wins the spin receives the bonus prize; the other team receives the consolation prize. For season 2, they added a prize for each number on the spinner.

Both teams compete simultaneously in a 60-second stunt. Each time the task in the stunt is completed successfully, 250 Life points are awarded.

The team with the highest total score at the end of this round wins and advances to the Grand Prize Round. If both teams are tied with the same score at the end of round 3, the Bonus Spin is played again.

The round takes place in two parts. In the first part, each member of the winning family was asked a „would you rather“-style question during the commercial break based on one of the three adventures they played during the show. The other two family members must predict which answer was given. Each right answer earns an extra number on the Game of Life Spinner.

The team now faces the Game of Life Spinner one more time. The team again chooses between the odds and evens, plus any extra numbers of their choice that they earned. If the Spinner lands on any of the numbers that were chosen, the team wins the grand prize of a family vacation (except for the premiere, which had a 3D screening room). A consolation prize is again awarded for a wrong guess. For the second season, each player will place a grand prize on three numbers and the rules stay the same.

Ilona Graenitz

Ilona Graenitz (* 15. März 1943 in Wien) ist eine ehemalige österreichische Politikerin (SPÖ). Graenitz war von 1986 bis 1996 Abgeordnete zum österreichischen Nationalrat und von 1995 bis 1999 Abgeordnete zum Europäischen Parlament.

Graenitz besuchte nach der Volksschule ein Realgymnasium in Wien, an dem sie 1961 maturierte. Danach studierte sie an der Hochschule für Welthandel und schloss ihr Studium 1965 mit dem akademischen Grad Dipl.-Kfm. ab. 1969 erwarb sie die Lehrbefähigung für Sprachenlehrer an Pflichtschulen. Beruflich war Graenitz zwischen 1966 und 1968 in der Exportabteilung der Chemie Linz beschäftigt, bevor sie von 1968 bis 1972 als Fachlehrerin an die Polytechnische Schule Linz wechselte. Danach machte sie als Erwachsenenbildnerin selbständig.

Politisch engagierte sich Graenitz zunächst in der Stadtpolitik und war zwischen 1979 und 1986 Gemeinderätin in Linz. Sie wechselte am 17. Februar 1986 in den Nationalrat, dem sie bis zum 10. September 1995 sowie am 15. Jänner 1996 angehörte. Mit dem Beitritt Österreichs zur Europäischen Union wurde sie ab 1. Jänner 1995 auch Mitglied des Europäischen Parlamentes, in dem sie die SPÖ bis zum 20. Juli 1999 vertrat. Zudem war Graenitz innerparteilich als Mitglied des Bezirksparteivorstandes der SPÖ Linz-Stadt und Mitglied des Landesparteivorstandes der SPÖ Oberösterreich aktiv. Zudem gehörte sie von 1991 bis 1994 der österreichischen Delegation zur Parlamentarischen Versammlung des Europarates an.

List of places in Gwynedd

This is a list of cities, towns and villages in the principal area of Gwynedd, Wales.

Aberangell, Aberdaron, Aberdesach, Aberdyfi, Abererch, Abergwyngregyn, Abergynolwyn, Aberllefenni, Abersoch, Afon Wen, Arthog

Bala, Bangor, Barmouth, Beddgelert, Bethania, Bethel, Bethesda, Betws Garmon, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Boduan, Bontddu, Bontnewydd, Botwnnog, Brithdir, Bryncroes, Bryn-crug, Bwlch-derwin, Bwlchtocyn

Caeathro, Caerhun, Caernarfon, Capel Curig, Carmel, Chwilog, Clynnog Fawr, Clwt-y-bont, Corris Uchaf, Corris, Criccieth, Croesor, Cwm y Glo

Deiniolen, Dinas Dinlle, Dinas Mawddwy, Dinas, Dinorwig, Dolgellau, Dolmelinllyn

Edern, Efailnewydd, Esgairgeiliog

Fairbourne, Friog

Ganllwyd, Garndolbenmaen, Gellilydan, Glasinfryn, Groeslon

Harlech

Llanaber, Llanaelhaearn, Llanbedr, Llandbedrgoch, Llanbedrog, Llanberis, Llandanwg, Llanegryn, Llandegwning, Llandeiniolen, Llandwrog, Llanelltyd, Llanengan, Llanfair Llanfihangel-y-pennant, Abergynolwyn, Llanfihangel-y-pennant, Cwm Pennant, Llanfrothen, Llangwnnadl, Llangybi, Llaniestyn, Llan Ffestiniog, Llangian, Llanllechid, Llanymawddwy, Llannor, Llanrug, Llanystumdwy, Llithfaen, Llwyndyrys, Llwyngwril

Mallwyd, Maentwrog, Minffordd, Morfa Nefyn, Mynydd Llandegai, Mynytho

Nantlle, Nantmor, Nasareth, Nebo, Nefyn

Pant Glas, Penffridd, Penisa’r Waun, Penmaenpool, Pennal, Penrhos, Penrhosgarnedd Penrhyndeudraeth, Pentre Gwynfryn, Penygroes, Pen-y-meinl, Pistyll, Pontllyfni, Pontrug, Porth Dinllaen, Porthmadog, Portmeirion, Prenteg, Pwllheli

Rachub, Rhiw, Rhiwddolion, Rhiwlas (in Llanddeiniolen community), Rhiwlas (in Llandderfel community), Rhosgadfan, Rhostryfan, Rhoshirwaun, Rhoslefair, Rhyd Ddu, Rhyd-y-clafdy, Rhos-y-gwaliau

Sarn Meyllteyrn

Tal-y-bont (near Bangor), Tal-y-bont (near Barmouth), Talysarn, Trawsfynydd, Trefor Tregarth, Tremadog, Tudweiliog, Tywyn, Talsarnau

Uwchmynydd

Waunfawr

Y Felinheli, Y Ffor

en hiragana ou en katakana sont deux kana, caractères japonais, qui représentent le même more. Ils sont prononcés /se/ et occupent la 14e place de leur syllabaire respectif, entre す et そ.

L’hiragana せ et le katakana セ proviennent, via les man’yōgana, du kanji 世.

せ et セ peuvent être diacrités pour former ぜ et ゼ et représenter le son /ze/.

Selon les systèmes de romanisation Hepburn, Kunrei et Nihon, せ et セ se romanisent en « se » et ぜ et ゼ en « ze ».

L’hiragana せ s’écrit en trois traits :

Le katakana セ s’écrit en deux traits :

FV Lauda

Der FV Lauda (offiziell: Fußballverein 1913 Lauda eingetragener Verein) ist ein Fußballverein aus dem nordbadischen Lauda-Königshofen.

Der FV Lauda 1913 e. V. wurde am 28. März 1913 gegründet. Im Juni 1980 konnte der FV Lauda Badischer Pokalsieger werden. Bei der folgenden Teilnahme an der ersten Hauptrunde der DFB-Pokal-Saison 1980/81 zog man erst in der Verlängerung mit 1:2 gegen den VfB Oldenburg den Kürzeren.

1981 stieg die erste Mannschaft des FV Lauda erstmals in die Oberliga Baden-Württemberg auf, nachdem in der Saison 1980/81 der 1. Platz in der Verbandsliga Baden erreicht wurde. Zwischen 1981/82 und 2005/06 spielte der Verein – unterbrochen durch zwei Abstiege (1983/84 und 1986/87) – insgesamt 14 Jahre in dieser Spielklasse. Die Wiederaufstiege in die Oberliga Baden-Württemberg gelangen 1984/85 (durch den 2. Platz in der Verbandsliga Baden) sowie 1996/97 (durch den 1. Platz in der Verbandsliga Baden). 1997 stand der FV Lauda im Endspiel um den Badischen Pokal gegen den VfR Mannheim. Im Juni 2000 konnte mit der Oberliga-Vizemeisterschaft in der damals vierthöchsten Spielklasse in Deutschland die beste Saisonplatzierung der Vereinsgeschichte erreicht werden. Im selben Jahr stand der FV Lauda auch im Endspiel des Badischen Pokals gegen die Karlsruher SC Amateure.

Seit 2006/07 gehörte der FV Lauda für fünf Jahre der Verbandsliga Baden an. Danach spielte die erste Mannschaft von 2011 bis 2015 vier Jahre in der Landesliga Odenwald. Im Jahr 2013 wurde zum 100-jährigen Vereinsjubiläum eine Chronik veröffentlicht, die auf über 150 Seiten einen umfassenden Überblick über das Vereinsgeschehen des Traditionsvereins bietet.

Am Ende der Saison 2014/15 kehrte der FV Lauda als Meister der Landesliga Odenwald in die Verbandsliga Baden zurück.

Spielstätte ist das 5.000 Zuschauer fassende Tauberstadion (Stehplätze, keine Sitzplätze), das über eine Flutlichtanlage verfügt. Das Sportheim am Tauberstadion ist täglich geöffnet. Lediglich am Montag ist Ruhetag.

Die Sportanlage an der Tauber bietet neben dem Hauptplatz im Tauberstadion zwei weitere Rasenpätze für Spiel und Training, auch unter Flutlicht.

Omya

Die Omya AG (bis 2000 Plüss-Staufer AG) mit Sitz in Oftringen ist ein international tätiger Schweizer Hersteller von Industriemineralien aus Calciumcarbonat, insbesondere von Füllstoffen und Streichpigmenten. Das Unternehmen befindet sich im Privatbesitz der Familie Plüss-Staufer und beschäftigt an über 100 Standorten in über 50 Ländern mehr als 6’000 Mitarbeiter. 2009 erwirtschaftete Omya einen Umsatz von 3,7 Milliarden Schweizer Franken.

Die Unternehmensgruppe ist in der Produktion und den Vertrieb mineralischer Rohstoffe aus Calciumcarbonat sowie den Chemiehandel mit Produkten internationaler Hersteller tätig. Nebst dem Konzernsitz befindet sich in Oftringen auch der Standort der weltweiten Forschung.

Die von Omya hergestellten Mineralien dienen als Füllstoff bei der Herstellung von Papier, Kunststoffen, Farben und Lacken, Klebstoffen und Bauchemie sowie in der Agro- und Umwelttechnik. Durch die Kooperation mit internationalen Handelspartnern bietet Omya neben Calciumcarbonat auch chemische Rohstoffe, Zwischenprodukte und Spezialitäten für unzählige Anwendungen an.

Das Unternehmen wurde 1884 von Gottfried Plüss als Kittfabrik in Oftringen gegründet. Sein Ziel war, Glaserkitt in bester Qualität herzustellen und die Glas- und Farbenhändler dafür zu interessieren. In der Folge erweiterte Plüss-Staufer sein Geschäft mit Glaserkitt auf den Kreidehandel und später auf die Leinölfabrikation. Hierfür nahm Plüss-Staufer 1891 einen Steinbruch in Châlons-sur-Marne (Frankreich) und vier Jahre später einen weiteren in Omey in Betrieb.

1894 eröffnete das Unternehmen sein Werk in Oftringen, dem 1900 eines in Omey folgte. 1912 eröffnete Plüss-Staufer sein Werk im damals zu Deutschland gehörenden Strassburg. Den Werken in Frankreich und Deutschland folgten 1925 bzw. 1932 die Gründung der Tochtergesellschaften in Paris bzw. Köln.

1946 expandierte das Unternehmen in die Vereinigten Staaten und gründete dort die Pluess-Staufer Co. Dort nahm diese 1976 einen Steinbruch und ein dazugehöriges Werk in Betrieb. 1981 folgte die Betriebsaufnahme in Australien.

In Österreich übernahm Plüss-Staufer 1975 die Mehrheit der Gersheimschen Kalkstein- und Marmorwerke in Gummern und erwarb Omya 1992 die Albogel GmbH, Hersteller von Marmorkörnungen in Neu-Pirka. Die Tochter Unikristall fällt in Werken in Golling und Hausmening Calciumcarbonat (PCC, slurry) aus. Beteiligt ist Omya am Kreideabbau in Müllendorf.

Die internationale Expansion beschleunigte sich ab den 1990er Jahren durch Eröffnung weiterer Steinbrüche und Werke in Asien und Lateinamerika, denen ab 2004 weitere in China, Russland, Naher und Mittlerer Osten, Brasilien, Indien, Vietnam und Rumänien folgten.

Lianhuanhua

Lianhuanhua (Chinese: 连环画 (Simplified) 連環畫 (Traditional); Pinyin: Liánhuánhuà or 連環圖) is a palm-size picture book of sequential drawings found in China in the early 20th century.

There is a Chinese belief that lianhuanhua influenced Japanese manga in the 20th century.

The name in Chinese essentially translates to „linked pictures“ or „serial pictures“. The books were called „lianhuanhua“ or „lianhuan tuhua“; later the „tu“ was omitted and the term „lianhuanhua“ became standard. The official term lianhuanhua was not used until 1927. Prior to this, lianhuanhua were separated into different name categories depending on the region.

In the 1880s, Chinese magazines such as Dianshizhai Pictorial experimented with the potential of this art technique. In 1884, ten illustrations to accompany a Korean rebellion narrative may be the earliest example of Lianhuanhua. In 1899, Wenyi Book Company in Shanghai published the illustrated lithograph „The Story of the Three Kingdoms“ drawn by Zhu Zhixuan. The format then was called „huihui tu“ or chapter pictures.

In 1916 Caobao newspapers bound the pictures to attract a larger audience base of middle and lower class readers. The rise of Lianhuanhua’s popularity was proportional to the rise of lithographic printing introduced to Shanghai from the West. Shanghai comics journals in the 1920s featured more artwork, typically depicting traditional stories along the lines of Chinese mythology or Chinese folklore. Small publishers in the 1920s and 1930s were mostly located on a street called Beigongyili in the Zhabei district. In 1935 street book stall owners and publishers established the „Shanghai Lianhuan Tuhua Promotion Society“ at Taoyuanli. The illustrated stories were originally targeted to children and marginally literate readers.

The books could be rented for a small fee in street kiosks. By the 1920s, Lianhuanhuas were also found in Hong Kong. These rental stores were common even during the Japanese occupation periods in the 1940s.

In Hong Kong during the 1970s, the format had essentially disappeared as they had become materials associated with the uneducated and unsophisticated.

In China, the popularity of the format would end with the arrival of the Cultural Revolution. From the late 1970s to the early 1980s, lian huan hua made a major comeback, resulting in numerous publications in circulation; however today, popular comic books have far surpassed the prevalence of these „lian huan hua“.

Not long ago, Renmin Meishu Chubanshe (People’s Fine Arts Publishing House), Shanghai Renmin Meishu Chubanshe (Shanghai People’s Fine Arts Publishing House) and Tianjin People’s Renmin Meishu Chubanshe (Tianjin People’s Fine Arts Publishing House) have republished some of their popular Lianhuanhua books.

Currently there is a resurgent interest in this format. The Shanghai Museum of Art has inaugurated a permanent exhibition of Lianhuanhua as a popular grassroots fine art form.

阿英(August 2008). 中国连环图画史话 (History of Lianhuanhua in China). 山东画报出版社. ISBN 978-7-80713-490-9.

Uraga Channel

The Uraga Channel (浦賀水道 Uraga-suidō?) is a waterway connecting Tokyo Bay to the Sagami Gulf. It is an important channel for ships headed from Tokyo, Yokohama, and Chiba to the Pacific Ocean and beyond.

The Uraga channel is at the southern end of Tokyo Bay (formerly known as Edo Bay, prior to 1868).

Tokyo Bay is surrounded by the Bōsō Peninsula (Chiba Prefecture) to the east and the Miura Peninsula (Kanagawa Prefecture) to the west. In a narrow sense, Tokyo Bay is the area north of the straight line formed by the Cape Kannon (観音崎 Kannon-zaki?) on the Miura Peninsula on one end and Cape Futtsu (富津岬 Futtsu-misaki?) on the Boso Peninsula on the other end. This area covers about 922 km². Tokyo Bay, in a broader sense, would be understood to include the Uraga Channel as well (its southwestern demarcation being the straight line between the Tsurugisaki Lighthouse and Sunosaki Lighthouse); and the total area of the bay would then be 1320 km².

The city of Uraga is located at the northern end of the channel on the Miura Peninsula. Due to its strategic location at the entrance of Edo Bay, Uraga has often been the first point of contact between visiting foreign ships and Japan.

At its narrowest, between Cape Kannon and Futtsu Point, the channel is 6 km wide. During the late Edo period, it was defended against foreign ships by twelve artillery batteries on both the Bōsō Peninsula and Miura Peninsula.

In 1846, Captain James Biddle of the U.S. Navy anchored two warships, the U.S.S. Columbus and the U.S.S. Vincennes in Uraga Channel at the mouth to Tokyo Bay. This was a step in what turned out to be an unsuccessful effort to open Japan to trade with the United States.

On July 14, 1853, Commodore Perry lowered the anchor of the squadron the Japanese called the Black ships near Uraga at Kurihama (in present-day Yokosuka in Kanagawa Prefecture) at the mouth of the channel. On the return of the Commodore’s squadron in 1854, the ships by-passed Uraga to anchor closer to Edo at Kanagawa, which is where the city of Yokohama now stands.

Coordinates:

111th Reconnaissance Squadron

The 111th Reconnaissance Squadron (111 RS) is a unit of the Texas Air National Guard 147th Reconnaissance Wing located at Ellington Field Joint Reserve Base, Houston, Texas. The 111th is equipped with the MQ-1B Predator unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV).

The squadron is a descendant organization of the World War I 111th Aero Squadron, established on 14 August 1917. It was reformed on 29 June 1923, as the 111th Observation Squadron, and is one of the 29 original National Guard Observation Squadrons of the United States Army National Guard formed before World War II.

The 111th Reconnaissance Squadron is the oldest unit of the Texas Air National Guard, with over 95 years of service to the State of Texas and the United States.

The Texas Air National Guard began as the 111th Aero Squadron on 14 August 1917 at Kelly Field in San Antonio, TX. The unit, composed of teamsters and laborers, was on special duty at Kelly Field and was known as the „Post Headquarters Squadron.“ The squadron was demobilized 19 August 1919.

The unit was reorganized with the establishment of a permanent air service in 1920, forming in the old Houston Light Guard Armory. The 111th Observation Squadron received Federal Recognition on 29 June 1923, as part of the 36th Division, Texas Air National Guard.

The squadron had no airplanes, so the hot summer of 1923 was devoted to close-order drill and classroom sessions. That was remedied, however, in September of that year when the 111th became airborne in the Curtiss JN-6H Jenny.[citation needed]

In September 1927 the Curtiss JN-6Hs were retired and the squadron gained Consolidated PT-1s and several other trainers until June 1928 when new Douglas O-2H observation aircraft arrived. During the next 10 years, the 111th performed outstanding civic service to the State of Texas, dropping medicine and relief supplies to many of the towns that were isolated by floodwaters, tornados, and fires. New Douglas O-38 observation planes were received in January 1931. By 1938 the squadron was flying both Douglas Douglas O-43As and North American O-47s.[citation needed]

With the onset of World War II, the unit was called into federal service 25 November 1940 and trained with the 36th Division at Brownwood Airfield Texas until Pearl Harbor was bombed, it was sent to the Mexican border, Fort Clark Springs Texas. The border patrol was short, and on 14 February 1942, the squadron left Texas for Daniel Field in Augusta, Georgia, and became part of the 68th Observation Group. Pilots trained on Douglas O-43A, Vultee/Stinson O-49/L-1 Vigilant and Douglas A-20B Havoc aircraft in preparation for deployment to the European Theater of Operations (ETO).[citation needed]

In 1942 the ground echelon and some pilots made their way to Scotland then England in preparation for landing on the Algerian beaches as part of Operation Torch, their shiny new P-39 Airacobras had to be assembled and tested before flying from England to Algeria. Some of the pilots of the 68th Group flew their A-20s directly across the Atlantic on the „Southern Route“ and immediately began flying over the Mediterranean in anti-submarine patrols, sinking at least one submarine. As the invasion force moved inland, the three squadrons of the group divided up the A-20s and P-39s by squadron and the 111th took on the Fighter Reconnaissance role in the P-39.[citation needed]

In March 1943, the 111th left the 68th Group to defend against a possible invasion of French Morocco from Spanish Morocco while the rest of the group was selected to support the Tunisian Campaign of the Army’s II Corps. In June 1943 the newly redesignated 111th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron, flying Allison engined F-6A or F-6B Mustangs (taken from a British order of Mk IAs), became the eyes of the 7th Army in Sicily, Operation Husky. They were temporarily assigned to the 5th Army in Italy, but returned in July 1944 in time to support the 7th Army’s invasion of southern France, Operation Dragoon. In addition to the older F-6A/F-6B Mustangs, they began receiving F-6C Mustangs (the photo recon version of the P-51C). The 111th remained with the 7th Army through the end of the war. From VE Day until December 1945, the Squadron served in the occupation force, and conducted postwar photo-mapping of the devastation in France.[citation needed]

During 23 months of continuous combat flying, from June 1943 through May 1945, the 111th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron flew 3,840 reconnaissance missions. While keeping Army Headquarters informed of enemy movements, the 111th destroyed 44 enemy aircraft, damaged 29 others and claimed 12 probable kills. The squadron received eight Battle Stars, a Distinguished Unit Citation, and the French Croix de Guerre for its World War II accomplishments.

The wartime 111th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron was re-designated as the 111th Fighter Squadron, and was allotted to the Texas Air National Guard, on 24 May 1946. It was organized at the Houston Municipal Airport and was extended federal recognition on 27 January 1947 by the National Guard Bureau. The 111th Fighter Squadron was bestowed the lineage, history, honors, and colors of the 111th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron and all predecessor units. The squadron was assigned to the Texas Air National Guard 136th Fighter Group and was equipped with F-51D Mustangs.[citation needed]

The mission of the squadron was the air defense of Texas. During the postwar years, the 111th primarily trained over the southern and eastern parts of the state; the 181st Fighter Squadron, based at Love Field, Dallas, and covered the south east, and the 182d Fighter Squadron, based at Brooks AFB, near San Antonio covered the Hill Country and west Texas.[citation needed]

As a result of the Korean War, the Texas Air National Guard was federalized and placed on active-duty status on 10 October 1950, being assigned to Ninth Air Force, Tactical Air Command (TAC). TAC ordered the 136th Fighter Group to Langley Air Force Base, Virginia, where the unit was re-designated to a Fighter-Bomber unit, and its status was changed to a Wing. At Langley, the 136th Fighter-Bomber Wing consisted of the following units:[citation needed]

At Langley AFB, the 136th trained with their F-51D Mustangs. Unfortunately losing two 111th FBS pilots in a training accident on 15 December. A third pilot was killed on 27 January 1951 in another accident. In February 1951, the aged F-51Ds that the unit had been flying since its activation in 1947 were replaced by F-84E Thunderjets, and the squadron began transition training on the jet fighter-bomber. Most of the training took place at Langley, although some pilots were sent to Shaw AFB, South Carolina. Maintenance crews, all new to jet aircraft, were trained at Langley and engine specialists were sent to the Allison plant in Indianapolis. Assigned to the Arkansas ANG 154th FBS at the time was a Navy exchange pilot, future NASA astronaut Lt. Walter Schirra (who happened to be the only pilot assigned to the 136th at the time who was a qualified jet pilot).[citation needed]

In May 1951, less than seven months later, the Wing was deployed to Japan, being attached to Far East Air Force and stationed at Itazuke Air Force Base, the first echelon of the 136th arriving on 18 May. The 136th replaced the Strategic Air Command 27th Fighter-Escort Wing, which had deployed to Far East Air Force in the early days of the Korean War. At Itazuke, the squadrons took over the F-84Es of the 27th FEW, which remained in place, its aircraft being reassigned from SAC to Far East Air Force inventory records. On 2 June, the final elements of the 136th arrived in Japan, the National Guardsmen officially relieved the 27th FBW and the SAC airmen departed for the United States. The 136th was the first Air National Guard Wing in history to enter combat.[citation needed]

From Japan the Wing engaged in combat operations over South Korea, however flying in the North Pacific area was a challenge to the wing, losing seven F-84Es in non-combat operations and three in combat. On 26 June, in one of the largest air-to-air battles in Korea, two 182d FBS pilots, Captain Harry Underwood and 1st LT Arthur Olighter shot down an enemy MiG-15 that broke though an F-86 Sabre escort of four B-29s. Two other 111th FBS pilots, 1st Lt John Morse and John Marlins scored probables in the same encounter. These were the first combat victories by Air National Guard pilots. On 3 July the 136th sent their aircraft to North Korea, attacking FLAK batteries in downtown Pyongyang while other aircraft attacked North Korean airfields.[citation needed]

However, the short-legged F-84 had limited combat time over Korea, therefore on 16 November 1951 the Wing moved to Taegu Air Force Base (K-2) in South Korea for its combat operations. In 1952, the 136th was re-equipped with the F-84G Thunderjet, designed for tactical close air support of ground forces.[citation needed]

The squadron flew over 6,000 escort, interdiction, and close air support sorties for the United Nations Troops and 111th Fighter-Bomber Squadron pilots destroyed at least two Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15 fighter jets.

The 111th Fighter-Bomber Squadron returned to the Houston Municipal Airport without aircraft or personnel in July 1952 and began to rebuild. In July 1956 the F-80 Shooting Stars of the 111th Fighter Squadron went on „Dawn to Dusk“ alert at the Houston Municipal Airport.

With the 111th’s return from the Korean War, the 111th was re-equipped with the Very Long Range (VLR) F-51H Mustang, which had been developed to escort B-29 Superfortress bombers in the Pacific Theater from the Mariana Islands to the Japanese Home Islands. The F-51H would allow the squadron to intercept any unidentified aircraft over any part of Texas. The squadron became part of Air Defense Command (ADC) and resumed its postwar mission of Texas air defense.[citation needed]

It wasn’t until 1955 that the squadron received jets from ADC, receiving F-80B and F-80C Shooting Stars and being re-designated as a Fighter-Interceptor Squadron. The 111th received F-80C-11 (modified F-80A to F-80C standards) Shooting Stars on 1 July 1955, and on 1 July 1956 the 111th FIS commenced to participate in the active ADC runway alert program at Ellington AFB.[citation needed]

With the squadron’s conversion from the obsolescent F-80 day fighters to the all-weather/day/night F-86D Sabre Interceptor in 1957, plans were made to reorganize the 600 man Augmented Squadron to an Air Defense Command group structure. On 1 July 1957, the 111th was authorized to expand to a group level, and the 147th Fighter-Interceptor Group was established by the National Guard Bureau. The 111th FIS becoming the group’s flying squadron. Other squadrons assigned into the group were the 147th Headquarters, 147th Material Squadron (Maintenance), 147th Combat Support Squadron, and the 147th USAF Dispensary. In June 1959 the squadron traded their F-86Ds for the upgraded F-86L Sabre Interceptor with uprated afterburning engines and new electronics.[citation needed]

In August 1960 the unit became one of the first to transition to the F-102A Delta Dagger Mach-2 all-weather interceptor and began a 24-hour alert to guard the Texas Gulf coast. On 1 January 1970, the squadron was re-designated as the 111th Combat Crew Training Squadron and served as the Air National Guard’s RTU (Replacement Training Unit) for the TF/F-102A. In 1971, when the active-duty force ceased F-102A training and closed Perrin AFB, Texas on 30 June 1971, the Houston-based 111th FIS became the Replacement Training Unit (RTU) for all Air Defense Command F-102 pilots, and the squadron received several TF-102A dual-seat trainers which were transferred from Perrin AFB while also retaining the T-33A instrument training function.[citation needed]

One pilot who flew TF/F-102As with the 111th was 1st Lt. George W. Bush, a future Governor of Texas and future President of the United States. George W. Bush’s military service began in 1968 when he enlisted in the Texas Air National Guard after graduating with a bachelor’s degree in history from Yale University. After being accepted into the ANG, Airman Basic Bush was selected to attend pilot training even though his test scores were the lowest acceptable for that position. His six weeks of basic training was completed at Lackland AFB in Texas during July and August 1968. Upon its completion, Bush was promoted to the officer’s rank of second lieutenant required for pilot candidates. He spent the next year in flight school at Moody AFB in Georgia from November 1968 to November 1969. Bush then returned to Ellington AFB in Texas to complete seven months of combat crew training on the F-102 from December 1969 to June 1970. This period included five weeks of training on the T-33 Shooting Star and 16 weeks aboard the TF-102A Delta Dagger two-seat trainer and finally the single-seat F-102A. Bush graduated from the training program in June 1970. Lt. Bush remained in the Texas ANG as a certified F-102 pilot who participated in frequent drills and alerts through April 1972. Lt. Bush was honorably discharged from the Air National Guard in October 1973 at the rank of First Lieutenant. An ANG physical dated 15 May 1971 indicates that he had logged 625 flight hours by that time, and he ultimately completed 326 hours as pilot and 10 as co-pilot while serving with the 111th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron.

In May 1971, the 111th added F-101B/F Voodoos and became the RTU tar the twin seat F-101F type, while continuing as the F-102 Delta Dagger RTU. In January 1975, after 14 years of service, the unit’s F-102s were retired, but the unit maintained a full fleet of F-101s.[citation needed]

The 111th also operated detachment 1 of the 147th FIW at New Orleans. The detachment was apart from the squadron in that it maintained constant alert status whilst facing towards Cuba.[citation needed]

In October 1979, in as part of the inactivation of Aerospace Defense Command, the USAF gained command responsibilities which shifted to Tactical Air Command (TAC) and a sub-organization equivalent to a numbered air force designated as Air Defense, Tactical Air Command (ADTAC). In 1982, the F-101s were retired and ADTAC re-equipped the 111th with the McDonnell F-4C Phantom II and continued its air defense mission. Most of the F-4Cs the squadron received were Vietnam War veteran aircraft. In November 1986, the F-4Cs were replaced by later-model F-4Ds.[citation needed]

In December 1989 the 111th FIS started receiving block 15 F-16C/D Fighting Falcon aircraft to replace their F-4Ds. The last F-16 arrived in April 1990.[citation needed]

In 1992, only a few years following the acceptance of their block 15s, they converted to the ADF variant of the block 15. On 15 March 15th, 1992 the 111th FIS was re-designated the 111th Fighter Squadron when its parent 147th Fighter Group converted to the USAF Objective Organization plan. Also in 1992 the 111th FS celebrated their 75th anniversary. To commemorate this F-16A ADF #82-1001 was painted in special markings including a big Texas flag painted on the fuselage underside. During September 1995, the 111th FS ended its alert detachment in New Orleans with the F-101 Voodoo, also the 147th was upgraded to a Wing, with the 111th Fighter Squadron being assigned to the new 147th Operations Group.[citation needed]

In late 1996 the 111th started to retire their ADF F-16s to AMARC. To replace these aircraft the squadron received the block 25 F-16C/D Fighting Falcon. Transition started in September 1996 and was completed by February 1997. This brought a change in role which officially happened in October 1998. The role went from air-to-air to an air-to-ground mission. After returning from an Operation Southern Watch mission at Prince Sultan Air Base, Saudi Arabia in October 2000, the squadron added Precision Guided Munitions to its arsenal.[citation needed]

Following the 11 September 2001 terrorist attacks, four 111th Fighter Squadron aircraft were launched to escort President George W. Bush, onboard Air Force 1 from Florida to Louisiana, Nebraska and finally back to Washington DC that same day. December 2001 saw the 111th deploy to Atlantic City, New Jersey, to fly Air Defense Combat Air Patrol missions over New York, Philadelphia and Washington DC in support of Operation Noble Eagle.

In August 2005 components of the 111th Fighter Squadron and 147th Fighter Wing deployed to Balad Airbase, Iraq to conduct combat operations in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and the Global War on Terrorism. The men and women of the 111th FS/147th FW once again distinguished themselves by flying 462 sorties and almost 1,900 hours in a two-month span; with a perfect record of 100% maintenance delivery (zero missed sorties), 100% mission effectiveness, and 100% weapons employment/hits under the most challenging combat conditions.

In April 2007, components of the 111th Fighter Squadron and 147th Fighter Wing again deployed to Balad Airbase, Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and the Global War on Terrorism, where the men and women of the 111th FS/147th FW continued their distinguished combat tradition. On this deployment the 111th Fighter Squadron flew 348 tasked sorties, plus six no-notice Close Air Support (CAS) alert scrambles and four short-notice (less than 30 minute & not on the ATO) pre-planned alert launches. With an average combat sortie lasting almost 4.42 hours, the unit accumulated a total of 1537.1 combat hours. Maintenance delivery effectiveness for this deployment was an astonishing 102% due to the inclusion of the unscheduled CAS scrambles. Mission effectiveness and weapons employment were both once again a perfect 100%.

In November 2007, an F-16C Fighting Falcon from the Texas Air National Guard’s 111th Fighter Squadron received a special paint job in honor of the squadron’s 90th anniversary.[citation needed]

All the colors and markings have specific meanings, reflecting the unit’s nine-decade history. The rudder is painted like a JN-4 Jenny, which the squadron flew in the 1920s. The schemes for the wings and flaps recall the paint schemes of the pre-World War II era.[citation needed]

The blue fuselage represents the Korean War, in which the squadron earned credit for two air victories. The gray underside represents the jet age.[citation needed]

The „N5 A“ was the insignia the squadron’s P-51 Mustangs sported during World War II, in which the squadron claimed 44 air victories. Also representing World War II is the star on the fuselage, while the star on the wing represents the pre-World War II era.[citation needed]

„Ace in the Hole“ and the star on the tail replicate the markings of the squadron’s F-84s during the Korean War. The ventral fin, partially obscured, reads „Est. 1917.“[citation needed]

During the 2005 Base Realignment and Closure Commission, it was recommended that the F-16 block 25s be retired. Texas Governor, Rick Perry, reacted quickly and made sure the unit could remain alive and did so by securing MQ-1 Predator operations. This is an unmanned aircraft and although not exactly what the 111th FS had hoped for, it would keep the unit going well into the future.[citation needed]

As was earlier planned in 2005, the 111th FS gave up its last two F-16s on 7 June 2008 and F-16 operations drew to a close. The MQ-1 replaced the F-16 and the parent wing was renamed the 147th Reconnaissance Wing that same month.[citation needed]

** This unit is not related to another 111th Aero Squadron (Service) that was activated in April 1918 at Rich Field, Waco, Texas.

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

Druckerei H. Osterwald

Die Druckerei H. Osterwald in Hannover war bis ihrer Auflösung 1974 eine der führenden Druckereien in der niedersächsischen Landeshauptstadt. Die Druckerei entwickelte sich aus einem in den 1860er Jahren gegründeten Unternehmen.

Das Unternehmen wurde noch zur Zeit des Königreichs Hannover am 20. August 1863 ursprünglich als „Buchbinderei, Galanterie, Papiergeschäft“ gegründet durch den Spross eines Bauerngeschlechts, den gelernten Buchbinder und Unternehmer Heinrich Osterwald (* 1838 in Hannover; † 18. Januar 1897 ebenda). In der Gründerzeit des Deutschen Kaiserreichs firmierte das Unternehmen im Jahr 1875 am Standort Osterstraße 84 Ecke Röselerstraße (zur Aegidienkirche hin) als „Buchbinderei, Papiergeschäft u. Kartonagefabrik“, bevor es 1890 zur Druckerei ausgebaut wurde. Diese spezialisierte sich anfänglich auf Drucksachen für die Eisenbahn, die Polizei, das Militär und verschiedene Finanzbehörden.

1892 beteiligte sich Osterwalds Neffe Heinrich Behrens († 1916) an dem Unternehmen wurde Innungs-Obermeister und Mitglied des Vorstandes und führte die Druckerei nach dem Tode Osterwalds anstelle von dessen Sohn Otto († 1901) zunächst alleine weiter. Im Jahr 1903 beteiligte er jedoch den aus Mecklenburg stammenden Drucker Paul Schefe an dem Betrieb und verlegte diesen in die Mehlstraße. Die frühe Einführung des Rotationsdruckes verhalf der Firma rasch zum Aufstieg zu einer der führenden Druckereien in Hannover mit eigener Werbeabteilung und Außendienst-Mitarbeitern. So konnte der Betrieb schon 1912 in einen eigenen, von dem Architekten Wilhelm Mackensen errichteten Neubau in der Stiftstraße 2 übersiedeln.

Mitten im Ersten Weltkrieg produzierte die Druckerei H. Osterwald die Erstauflage des im Sponholtz-Verlag erschienenen Romans Die Häuser von Ohlenhof. Der Roman eines Dorfes von Hermann Löns. Aus dem Krieg kehrte der gleichnamige Sohn von Heinrich Behrens 1918 zurück, der dann die Position und Funktion des Vaters übernahm, der Buchdruckerei zu Beginn der Weimarer Republik im Jahr 1920 um den Offsetdruck ergänzte und 1924 eine Kupfer-Tiefdruck-Abteilung angliederte. 1930 wurde auch Erich, der Sohn des Druckers Paul Schefe, Teilhaber des Unternehmens. In den 1930er Jahren wurde zudem die Naturfarben-Fotografie entwickelt, durch die die Druckerei nach langen Versuchsreihen im Mehrfarb-Tiefdruck einen Spitzenplatz in der Druckkunst in Europa erlangte.

Zur Zeit des Nationalsozialismus begann der 14-jährige spätere Maler Heinz Baumgarte 1938 in der Druckerei seine Lehre als Retucheur, die er erst mitten im Zweiten Weltkrieg im Jahr 1941 beendete. Nur kurze Zeit später wurde der größte Teil der Druckerei durch zahlreiche Luftangriffe auf Hannover 1943 „[…] ein Raub der Flammen.“ Während der Aufräumarbeiten mit nicht zum Wehrdienst eingezogenen Mitarbeitern wurde zeitweilig auch Ausweichquartiere in Hoya und Hildesheim errichtet.

Nach der Genehmigung der Militärbefehlshaber der Britischen Besatzungszone konnte die Druckerei H. Osterwald einen Neubeginn in den Trümmern starten: Bereits im April 1946 fand der ehemalige Auszubildende und aus der Kriegsgefangenschaft zurückgekehrte Heinz Baumgarte Anstellung in seinem erlernten Beruf in der Druckerei. In den frühen Wirtschaftswunderjahren konnte die Druckerei H. Osterwald 1951 in einem neu errichteten Druckhaus an gleicher Stelle die Produktion wieder aufnehmen und entwickelte sich dann mit 8- und 10-Farben-Rotationsmaschinen zur größten Tiefdruckerei in der niedersächsischen Landeshauptstadt. Dort ließ der Künstler und Drucktechniker Alfred Hickethier durch die hannoversche Druckerei 1952 seine Farbenordnung Hickethier herstellen – und als Kommissionsauftrag an Der Polygraph auch in Frankfurt am Main. Dabei handelte es sich um würfelförmige Abdrucke von Pigmentfarben in ihrer reinen Farbgebung und – darauf aufbauend – um 999 Variationen in 40 Tabellen auf 99 Seiten. Nach Unterbrechungen durch Studienreisen kehrte der Maler Heinz Baumgarte 1959 nach Hannover zurück und übernahm die Retuschierabteilung und die dazugehörige Lehrlingsausbildung bei Osterwald.

Gut ein Jahrzehnt später geriet die Druckerei Anfang der 1970er Jahre in finanzielle Schwierigkeiten, siedelte 1971 nach Laatzen über und ging 1972 in Konkurs. Nach einer kurzen Zeit der Weiterführung des Betriebes durch die Hanno-Druck GmbH, einem Unternehmen der Jänecke-Gruppe, wurden beide Druckereien 1974 liquidiert.

Der große Gebäudekomplex unter der Adresse Stiftstraße 2 ist heute unter anderem Teil des von der Verlagsgesellschaft Madsack verwalteten Mendini-Hauses.

Koordinaten: